Sunday, November 29, 2009

if Bram Stoker is still alive, he would've commited suicide


So it's that time again. Time to scream over some sparkly vampires and werewolves with ridiculously hot bods. Fangirls all around the world unite - New Moon has arrived! Dey, do I sound excited? I might be, some few months ago (omo it's New Moon this November! Like OMG I LURRRVE Edward!!). But right now I prefer to view Stephenie Meyer's vampires as an insult to the rest of the vampire community. One of the most disturbing thing is that they don't burn in sunlight, they merely sparkle. Which is a damned bad thing for a girl who has been reading numerous books suggesting that vampires burn in sunlight. Or in the case of Bram Stoker's original Dracula, become extremely weakened when exposed to sunlight. The first time I discovered about the sparkling thingie during that scene in the forest (I watched the movie first before reading the book. Okay now I officially made myself look like a freakin Rob Pat fangirl), I went panicky when Edward simply run towards sunlight, thinking that he might be severely injured for the sake of showing Bella what he actually is. But wahey, he simply sparkle! Now that's a new thing.

Initially (circa 2008) I was extremely overjoyed when I discovered I could finally get a vampire [teen] romance movie at the cinemas, giving a much-awaited relief from those other modern weapon/bazooka/M16-laden vampire action movies (read: Blade, Underworld, Van Helsing). You see, when it comes to vampire movies, I prefer them to be sensual/aristocratic/a la Blood Ties, and I figured out that since Twilight is a romance movie (I wouldn't dare to call it 'vampire romance' - that'll put Christine Feehan to shame :P) I might as well get something I like out of it. Turns out that I was wrong. And surprisingly, it took me a good seven months to realize that the Twilight saga, especially that movie featuring Rob Pat, is not exactly my kind of thing. I realized that I only loved the Twilight saga because it was advertised as a 'vampire' story, and being a crazed vampire fan, I could not help but to be a part of the phenomenon.

But now that I've ventured deeper into vampirism, Twilight vampires do not even come close to Lestat de Lioncourt, let alone granddad of all vampires Prince/Count Vlad Dracula/Basarab. Or Count Orlok, for that matter. Guys, don't tell me you've never heard of these peeps! XD! Anyhoo, despite them being as vampiric as, ugh, me (pardon my unrealistic ambition), I still find several of them as interesting. Alice Cullen my namesake, for example, is surprisingly cheerful for a blood drinker, and I am absolutely drawn towards her sweet demeanour towards almost everybody. Her lifemate Jasper is just as interesting (Jackson Rathbone is hotter than Rob Pat, c'mon girls, admit it!), and he is by far the closest thing to a vampire among the Cullens. And then we have the Volturi, my kind of vampires save the sparkling part, seemingly aristocratic (though not French aristocrat, or Count Raphael aristocrat) and beautifully cold-hearted. Don't get me started on the fact that my dearest Jamie Campbell Bower plays Caius! Kyaaaaa!

I guess those reasons were enough to drive me to the nearest cinema and catch New Moon. Me, an avid old-school vampire fan who has been bitching about Meyerpires since last two months or so, is now willing to spend about RM12 to watch New Moon on cinema. To make things freakier, I went alone. Alone, as in looking at other peeps going with their bfs/gfs/bffs while me is stuck with only some limp french fries to accompany me (yes, my hobby is smuggling outside food into the cinema). I sat right beside this solitary guy who apparently came to watch New Moon alone too. And there we were, only two of us along the four-seated row, wondering why the other person came to watch a romance movie alone. Me wondering even more because guys don't watch romance movies unless they're being forced by their girlfriends.

Anyways, the movie started almost like what I've been imagining from the book, and for a short while I fell head over heels on Jasper ('for a short while' coz that's the duration of time he appears in the movie T_T). The rest seemed quite mundane (coz it's always Bella, and the book, as always, is better) except for the part when they showed the Volturi in their aristocratic attire (I have a penchant for vampires in Victorian/Rococo attire). Charlie is such a dear father, and the werewolves are, ugh, muscular (shite, how come Taylor Lautner is younger than me??). The effects are cool (i.e. werewolf transformation, Edward's body smashing marbles, not the sparkling effect), and yay for Volturi :D I whispered Caius' name every time he appeared, much to make my 'partner' here annoyed (hope he's not :P). Though somehow disappointed coz my Jamie got so little lines to speak out (he has such a sweet, mesmerising voice. Seriously guys, go watch Sweeney Todd!) and most of the time he just sits there watching Aro do the talking, the beautiful sight of Jamie as a vampire is enough to make me feel contented. Oddly, that's the main reason why I still want to watch New Moon despite me falling out of love with Edward Cullen (as in the character, guys. Not Rob Pat - SERIOUSLY not Rob Pat).

The verdict? Maybe 7/10. I expected more (that includes more Caius, but what can I do, Stephenie Meyer did not allow him to talk much even in the book) but I guess for a really fanatic Twilight fan, it's well worth watching. For fellow former fans, you can do like, try completing the lines from the ones you've once read in the book, or say "That's not a freaking vampire" each time Rob Pat comes out or the word 'vampire' is mentioned, or complain about the sparkle. For people who are new to the vampire cult, PLEASE DON'T WATCH IT. For God's sake buy Stoker's Dracula and his grandnephew's Dracula The Un-Dead; don't let your mind be polluted with false facts about vampires. I have Coppola's Dracula movie, if you want I can seed it for you. Just please don't have the notion that vampires sparkle, and please don't make Old Bram suffer in his grave. That's all I could say.

Btw, I'm wondering. Do Meyerpires make blood exchange in order to turn somebody? Or it's merely "Lemme bite you and you'll get the 'venom' "? Enlighten me.

No comments: