Monday, November 30, 2009

mengapa bayar lebih? belilah dengan harga borong

FYI I have stopped calling myself a lolita now because some elitists thought that you are not a lolita if you don't wear proper lolita. I have a perfectly opposite opinion about that coz I thought that it doesn't really matter if you're wearing lolita or not, as long as your heart is into it, you can be the most beautiful lolita ever. Well, at least Takemoto Novala says so - or something close to that. But there's no point arguing with elitists, especially when they have the capability of humiliating you on social networking sites, so I decided not to label me and my seemingly ita clothes as lolita.

Among my lolita online friends, I was not even regarded as a lolita, mainly because I can't even afford to buy Bodyline, let alone burando (brand items). Somehow I felt reluctant to pay RM200++ for a single dress even when I have the money, because years of living in near poverty *hyperbole* has taught me to optimize the value of my money (i.e. "RM200 can buy you 10 pairs of discounted shoes" - Confession of a Shoessaholic Named Alice). I do have the intention to buy Bodyline, though, but not now coz I'm waiting for my next sem's JPA money. Maybe an OP, or a JSK. We'll see about that later.
Lolita is an expensive hobby, no doubt. One big item (i.e OP, JSK, shoes, bag) costs about RM200-RM300 in average for off-brands, and more than RM700 for burando. Even small accessories like headdresses can reach up to RM100 (the price I saw at i-socks. Ridiculous indeed). Fortunately there is another alternative for cheapskate girls who want to get into lolita but don't have the money for it - sewing lolita items yourself. Something that I've been considering of - for quite some time already actually. Unfortunately for me, I don't have a sewing machine and I don't know any heck about sewing clothes. Some girls have the privilege of having a mom who knows how to sew, but mine is afraid of sewing (hence the absence of a sewing machine in our home). But I'm not going to give up on that, though. I've recently learned that making a 100% hand-sewn JSK is not impossible, and when it comes to how-tos there's always sew_loli. Still, I need those sewing machine to make my life easier. *persuades mum to buy one*

For the time being I just stick to my current hobby - hunting for lolita-esque clothes, modifying/mix-and-matching them until they appear lolita-like. But having learnt from my past mistakes, I'm not going to call my 'coordinates' lolita anymore, coz I realized that most of my previous coordinates are non other than ita clothes. Didn't want to provoke those elitists, do we? XD. Though not 100% lolita (please bear in mind that as a Muslim I have restrictions, and I can't show my hair/legs/most of my skin. Yes there are Muslims who don't follow that but I'm not one of them), at least I can make myself satisfied by appearing different than other peeps around me. And yeah, need I mention that all of the items I bought cost less than RM50 each? Mwahahahahahaha~

One of my most recent 'coordinates':



dress: RM25 (bought at Times Square, kedai sebelah i-socks. The closest thing I got to lolita)
cutsew/pirate jacket/whatever: rm35
bag (not loli pon...need a new one...): RM20
slacks: RM20
Mary Jane shoes: rm40 (yet to be adorned with my hand-made shoe clips)
petticoat: handmade, material cost RM6
bloomers: need it for extra poofiness that the petti lack of. improvised from a RM10 skirt
socks: RM15...damn i-socks...
gloves (not worn here): RM15...damn i-socks too
tudung: rm10

total cost: RM196 - still less than a freaking GLP blouse!

(the featured coordinate actually received positive comments from several people, including my lolita friend. I wore this to a particular shop in city square selling GLP outfits and the salesgirl started treating me extremely nicely and asked me things about my dress :P)


Guys, I will buy myself a Bodyline. Or make myself a proper lolita outfit. Watch this space.

2 comments:

haziqrazab said...

wow u relly can a living out of this hobby..

ever thought of sellin hand-made accessories ??

imagine othr poor cheapskates (tht term seems overexaggerated dont u thnk?) who wants all d burandos or burandos-look-alike but got no $$$ n skills 2 make their own..

like lolita Tesco.. or Tesco for lolita.. or Mayamarket (well tht a dull name haha)

i can thnk of endless possibilities haha =))

Maya Arielle said...

Mayamarket. haha good one! XD
actually i have been thinking about that too
some of those lolita in Livejournal made a living by taking commissions to make lolita items
maybe i'll get to that, but first i need to make stuffs for my own XD