Tuesday, May 10, 2011

bitchin'

We live in a world where physical appearances are much better appreciated than 'what's behind the curtains'. That's why we have girls putting their duckfaced pictures on their blog headers, trying their best to look like HanaYunaTajimaWhatever in every single shots. No, I don't have any specific opinions regarding these girls, although sometimes I do feel they have gone overboard.

But that's not my point. My point is, how often do you find a person attractive due to his or her quirkiness? Or, since quirkiness may only appeal to a small subset of the community, his or her charisma? Flair? Attitude? Most people would definitely go for what they could perceive with their naked eye. Having said that, if you are born pretty, or somehow found a way to make yourself look pretty, you will most likely be the subject of admiration for many people. Yep, I know, I'm merely restating an obvious fact; there's nothing new here. But how about those who did not have beauty (or physical attractiveness, at least, considering the word 'beauty' is so damn subjective) as their asset? Sure, someone would eventually notice that hidden, skin-deep beauty within them, but can you guarantee that they won't suffer from serious inferiority complex/ lack of self-esteem before that happens?


And guys still question why girls wear makeup and Hana Tajima-inspired outfits.



While we're at it, is quirkiness a turn-off?
Alice

5 comments:

.ash. said...

hai k.fatimah.i like this post :D

Mykki said...

I love quirkiness and charisma in a person. That's usually what I look for when I meet someone anyways....it's like "yeah, okay they look decent enough, but are they funny or intelligent?"

the biggest philosopher you've ever met. said...

i just realized that your recent posts have an indirect relation to my exam questions.

should have read them before entering the hall. =D

Gail said...

Assalaam waliekum.
Man, what's wrong with staring all innocent looking/pouty-lipped into a camera while wearing a tug-of-war hijab?
Yeah, I said it. Tug-of-war hijab.

Most people can't marry themselves and very unknowingly aim to find someone who is agreeable in nature yet they balance out their personality. What is considered a "quirk" or flaw to one person maybe a turn-on or admirable trait to another.
Also that is why is pays to get understandingly truthful to yourself despite others' input.

Maya Arielle said...

ash: glad you like it :D

akumaxkami: I know right?? I personally find people with unusual characteristics (above average IQs, members alternative subculture, geeks, etc) much more interesting than typical cute guy/girl types.

philosopher: really? hahaha, how's your exam anyway? wishing you all the best for your remaining papers :)

Gail: Waalaikumussalam :) Tug-of-war hijab? That's funny XDD
Yup, I agree with what you're saying. It's just that apart from my best friend (and myself?), I've never found anybody who considers being quirky/out of ordinary as attractive. But that's maybe because I haven't meet enough people to prove my point XD