Thursday, July 23, 2009

blackrose_eclipse


No, not Twilight Saga Eclipse (despite the Jasper fangirling mode that I'm in this week

The arrival of the new moon (refer to 'When Is The Next Full Moon' gadget) also marked the arrival of the second solar eclipse in 2009. Being a freaky Goa/psychedelic trance enthusiast that I am, I've been waiting for this event since eons ago. The last solar eclipse, on January 26th 2009, was a partial annular solar eclipse so it lacked the darkness-y elements as only 96% of the Sun was blocked (okay so 96% is kinda a lot, but there's nothing significant about the surrounding of that day - Sun was still shining brightly). The 22nd July solar eclipse, on the other hand, was a total one. which was cool coz when you have total solar eclipse, people would start to mutter words like darkness, evil, bad omen, Damien, 666, doomsday, retinal burns from staring at the sun without proper eye protection, etc. Like, sooo Maya Arielle (minus the retinal burns part lah).



Only one thing, though. I was not able to witness the phenomenon with my very eyes, thanks to the fact that I'm currently living in Malaysia and Malaysia is not located on the umbra. Well, there would always be the partial solar eclipse, but d-oh, that's like, so not darkness-y (watched January 26th partial eclipse at home. I knew the feeling. No darkness whatsoever). To make things worse, it was raining barely half an hour before the actual eclipse started, obstructing any possible spheric form of the Sun from view. Even if it's not raining, I was in my Biology class at the time of occurence. What do you expect - me walking straight towards the lecturer in front, asking for an excuse to walk away and witness the solar eclipse, telling him "I am a freeky lunatic psychedelic trance devotee, and it's eclipse so I have to do my ritual eclipse dance, so that I'm able to be one with the Universe and posssibly gain access to next year's Full Moon Festival in Germany"? And then expect the lecturer to mouth off something that rhymes with "what the muck"?

So no eclipse. Hell yeah. Gone was my reputation as a psychedelic trancer.

But hey, there's always YouTube so I can still imagine myself doing meditation (not yoga - yoga haram doh) at Anjuna Beach, Goa while waiting for the peak event to happen.

Doh. Talking about eclipses and India, I suddenly remembered something. Total solar eclipse marks a very emotional phase of my life. From the eclipse it started, from the eclipse it also ended. WTF am I babbling about? Read the next post coz I'm too twisted to put everything here. Mwahahahaha.

(the next solar eclipse will be on January 15th 2010. Annular - very beautiful - but I doubt that we in Malaysia will be able to view it. T_T)

3 comments:

haziqrazab said...

u did ask ur lecturer to see tht eclipse ?

wow.. i admire ur passion~

Maya Arielle said...

hahahaha no la...
i'm not that obsessed :D
btw i did go out after the class was over, n to my disappointment, no sun whatsoever - the clouds were obstructing it
T_T

haziqrazab said...

relly..??

i can feel ur disappointment.. =D