Tuesday, January 4, 2011

philosophy of time travel

Hi there. Went back from Shah Alam earlier today, for my Merit Certificate Ceremony something. Left JB yesterday with a crippling abdominal pain, and after a brief consultation with the doctor at Klinik Waqaf An-Nur (which is an awesome clinic, especially if you have financial difficulties), I was finally diagnosed with gastritis. Uh, well, I've been diagnosing myself with gastritis since forever, but yeah, never had any official diagnosis until now. So thanks to the crippling pain, I'm now on cimetidine and hyoscine butylbromide and finally, my hypochondriac self-diagnosis is certified to be true. So kids, if by any chance you're interested in self-harming to get attention whatsoever in your early teenage years, do not choose to starve yourself. Don't skip breakfast. And don't attempt to get overdosed on NSAIDs (uh, not that I've ever taken NSAIDs before - paracetamol is not anti-inflammatory - nor do I ever attempt to OD on any drugs, but you get my point). Pesanan penaja ini dibawa khas oleh Kementerian Kesihatan. Baca label sebelum menggunakan ubat.

Uh, where were we? Oh yeah, the Merit Cert thingie. Like I've mentioned in my previous posts, I was hoping for a merit, but definitely didn't expect two merits, especially when one of them is for the dreaded ESLS. Hell, I didn't even bother to check my grandma here kot! Thank Allah for that. Turns out I was among those People You Wouldn't Expect to Get Merit Whatsoever, i.e. not in the same category as Jeffrey and Hajar. Definitely not in the same category as Jeffrey. He whom the Director of INTEC knows personally, who have awesome people skills, who went around giving cards to every single AUSMAT lecturers, who have mesmerizing voice. Eh wait, I didn't mean to sound jealous or whatever la, I was just pointing out the obvious. Those who follow my Findings From My Anthology Studies series will understand that those who can connect with people better, and have superior interpersonal skills, will more likely be successful in whatever they're doing compared to their antisocial-ish peers. Individualism is a thing of the past, and since people are so engrossed with teamwork and stuffs like that nowadays, interpersonal skill is what you MUST have in order to survive. In other words, they didn't care about your natural tendency to be shy or among people, you have to shove your true personality aside and blend with the rest of the fake smiling crowd to climb the corporate ladder. I honestly think that while some people may be born with that natural charm, many people merely pretend to be 'friendly' for their own good. Doesn't matter if you don't like certain individuals, just wear that fake smile to portray that 'pleasant' imagery of yours, and people will start worshipping you in no time. No, this has nothing to do with Jeffrey at all. Just something I've been thinking for a very long time.

But then again, what you might refer as 'your default personality' may not even be default at all. Some people claim that it's in their blood, it can't be helped that they're not people friendly like the rest of their peers, that God has made them that way and there's no way to change it. Very few people realize that personalities are decided by our own self. We are the one who determine who we want to be, what sort of responsibility do we want to hold, our reasons to live in this world. To quote the philosophy professor in Waking Life: "... we should never simply write ourselves off or see each other as a victim of various forces. It's always our decision who we are." So I guess you could decide whether or not you want to be quiet, or talkative, or rebellious. What you are today may be determined by your actions and decisions in your earlier stage of life (I always thought that one of the reasons why I seem to be very very quiet is because I couldn't be bothered to connect with people back then when I was younger. This resulted in me refusing to make any effort to be friendly or learn vital social skills, hence making the the socially awkward person that I am today.) I guess you could even apply this to them "Saya Gay, Saya OK" people out there. You choose your own destiny and what you want to be peeps. Don't blame natural selection whatsoever in this case.

Wow, those are some seriously detached writings I've got there. I can never write a full book based from my dissertation later (what book? the "Fighting Rhinitis By Gene Therapy Which Is Absurd Because Histamines Are Part Of Our Defence Mechanism"?"Immunotoxicology For Dummies"?). Anyhoo, title is such because I've been highly interested in the theory of wormholes these days. Maybe it's influenced by Fringe, or John Connolly's The Gates, or Crichton's Sphere, or all those CERN- and quantum physics-related stuffs (and Goa stuffs - you would be amazed) I've been Googling for the past few weeks, but I do find them interesting. There's an infinite number of parallel universe multiverse, and by travelling through wormholes you might be able to travel to other bizarre places. Like the fifth dimension, or the universe where everybody still wear neon leotards and have bad mullets, or someplace where you can have Salviatrip just by breathing in air. The possibilities are endless. I would love to go back to the Rococo era, but that would be too clichéd for a lolita like me. Maybe that universe with Salvia-saturated atmosphere would be awesome. I would be happy to travel to that universe hahaha.

Thanks for reading by the way despite me being in my twisted mood
Alice


2 comments:

7/511 said...

"People You Wouldn't Expect to Get Merit Whatsoever"?! Come on! You're awesome you know? That category is for me and me alone. I felt like a parasite, a tick or a leech or smthg up thr on the stage. Not that I wasn't honoured :D Just, I ain't part of the Deservers Pack. Y'know?

And really now, you have above average people's skills! Jeff is just, Idk, at Jedi level or smthg. He's like the Yoda of Getting Along. I'm probably Jar Jar Binks. And you, you're like Padme probably hahah (Nobody gets to be Obi Wan except ObEwan, aite? :p)

Maya Arielle said...

Ehhhh, don't say so Leana, even if you're not among the Deservers pack, your Malay Studies skills are impeccable. Well, considering that Malay Studies is a language subject and includes English as well, you must be the right person for the merit spot (kalau Malay Studies ade creative writing sure awesome)

Those Star Wars references are pure win XD (tapi sila substitute Padme with K-3PO sekian thank you). Dan lol ObEwan XDD

One thing for sure, Jeff is, uh. Ade Tonik Jeff tak dijual di kedai-kedai jamu?