Wednesday, December 15, 2010

permata hijrah? permata sadomasochism lah!

Today mom brought me to Permata Hijrah for my 'sinusitis treatment'. Despite me convincing everybody that my disease is allergic rhinitis and not resdung, mom said that Permata Hijrah's method is worth trying no matter what histamines/virus/bacteria/creatures you are breeding in your sinus, so yeah, she's bringing me there. As a future pharmacist who spends her day flipping through MIMS Annual and Googles like hell whenever she receives a rather new medicine, Alice here is a bit skeptical about this whole Permata Hijrah thingie. Yeah, I gotta admit, the treatment method is rather attractive (according to mom and what I saw on TV, the treatment involves them 'vacuuming' out how many litres of mucus you have in your nasal cavity. Not really vacuuming though, but at the end of the treatment you're supposed to be free of mucus or something), but I don't see how a disease associated with faulty histamines can be cured by vacuuming out mucus. But yeah, worth trying. Kalau tak usaha macamana nak senang kan *shrugs*

So I went there, feeling a bit nervous. I haven't done my homework on that particular thing so I don't have any clue on how it will work, or what method they will use in order to purge out mucus from my nose. It may be very painful. Last thing I want is to feel intense pain today, dah la esok nak dapat result ngaummm. After the registration and whatnots, I was brought into the treatment room by one akak.

First thing she asked me to do is to shove two cotton buds soaked with Ubat Telinga Whatsoever into my ear canal as deep as I could. Paranoia #01: I am afraid of putting things into my ears that deep. Gila kau! Aku tau la guna cotton buds, tapi eardrum aku sensitif tau! Besides, it's painful! Turns out it was painful, but in a weird way. My ear canal, which I thought was full of wax or something, gave way to the cotton buds easily. And then, they move on their own. In and out, in and out. Now I have two cotton buds raping my ears! It was terrifying I almost cried! Haha, a bit exaggerating there, but yeah, I almost cried. And I haven't gone to the actual treatment part yet! Damn my low pain threshold.

Note: I didn't ask them, but I'm assuming that the ear raping treatment is necessary because sinusitis is an ENT disease, so of course you need to treat your ears as well. Though in this case, they could at least ask me "ada sakit telinga, nanah kat telinga, etc tak?" before doing so.

After asking me whether I hear any sound in my ear (me: of course I heard something. I hear them cotton buds raping my ears! akak: 30% ada resdung), she proceeded to the actual resdung treatment. She made me inhale some kind of herbal powder, which stung like hell, and told me "Kalau nak bersin, bersinlah". It took me a while to sneeze, which was of course torturous - you know the feeling when you're about to sneeze but in the end nothing came out? Imagine feeling that for 3 minutes. And when I finally sneezed, it was a total of 12 or so sneezes. Awesome. At this point, I was beginning to feel a bit suspicious. What I felt after inhaling the powder (non-stop sneezing, mucus overflow) was similar to the events in which my histamines were beginning to work overtime. Like I inhaled a big chunk of allergen!

As soon as she realized that I'm drowning in my own mucus, she began massaging my face to let them mucus out. And hell, what a lot of mucus I have!

Here's a picture to let you understand further. Sorry for its gross factor. You should see mine.

At first I was pleased with the result, though a bit tak puas hati because I felt like all the mucus came from my allergic reaction with the 'herbal powder'. When you're practically drowning in your own nasal secretions during a severe histamine attack, you will feel overly grateful looking at the long trails of mucus coming out of your own nose. Of course, I have high hopes that this particular treatment will eventually make me mucus-free (although part of me tells me that it's impossible - you don't have a reservoir of mucus inside your nasal cavity, they are secreted by my frickin mucous membrane and an overflow will only occur if histamines are in action!). Several nose-blowing moments later, I knew I was wrong.

I had a total of four painful rounds of mucus expelling. Okay the first round involved her massaging my sinus area to expel mucus, so that's not really painful. But when she began inserting two cotton buds dipped in the above herbal powder into my nasal cavity, I felt like getting up and shove them herbal whatsoever shites into her nasal cavity. GILA PERIIITTTT!!!! Just imagine having someone inserting cotton buds laden with paprika up your nose as deep as they could get. It's that bad, I swear. I fought the urge to slap her and run out of the room, and endured the treatment with clenched teeth and fists. I looked at mom with tears-filled eyes that screamed "PLEASE MOM MAKE HER STOP!" but she just nodded apologetically. Done with the first round of gruesome facial massage, she asked me to blow my nose as hard as I could to expel the remaining mucus in my nose. As hard as I could meaning I have to blow until my blood vessels were about to rupture (I silently hoped they would so that I could sue Permata Hijrah or something). She asked me afterwards, "Rasa tersumbat lagi tak?" Of course I had to say yes, because apparently after all those mucus expelling and blood vessel bursting there are still loads of mucus in my nose because THE HISTAMINES TRIGGERED THE CONSTANT PRODUCTION OF MUCUS FROM MY NOSE DAMMIT! I thought that she would proceed with a different treatment method, but as soon as I saw her holding two more cotton buds I knew I would be tortured yet again. And the cycle continued for two more rounds. Good thing she didn't use the dreaded herbal powder for the third and fourth round (she used some 'ubat resdung' liquid which feels quite minty), but still, the pain was still unbearable because she once again shoved them cotton buds deep into my nostrils. After everything was done, she asked me the dreaded question again, "Rasa tersumbat lagi tak?" This time I had to say no. I don't care if my mom paid RM50 for this utterly unscientific and nonclinical treatment, I want you to stop this shite and get me out of here!!!

So I went out of the treatment room teary-eyed. The akak told my mom that I have loads of mucus in my nasal cavity, and recommended her to buy me a bottle of herbal capsules worth RM100+ to 'cure my resdung' because apparently the capsules can 'cure resdung altogether from the roots, not just eliminate the symptoms'. Mom said she did not bring extra money with her, so the akak told her to at least buy a different kind of herbal capsules to 'alleviate my symptoms of resdung', which costed RM25. Determined to make me feel better, she said yes, and she paid a total of RM75 for the treatment and the capsules. Before we left, the akak and her colleague at the registration counter asked me how old I am and what I'm currently studying. With my renowned acid face, I told them that I'll be going to NZ to study PHARMACY and find cure for my RHINITIS. With that, I left the premise.

Look, I'm not trying to be ungrateful over what mom had done to alleviate my daily sufferings, I just felt cheated. Not mom's fault in any way, it's the people at PH who should be blamed. I mean, it's okay if you want to introduce alternative healing methods to cure sickness which could not be cured by modern medicine, but to do so by assuming that all diseases involving the nose is resdung is just, uh. FYI, after the treatment I Googled like hell about other people's reactions on the PH resdung treatment. Amidst the tons of "aku tengok video orang buat rawatan resdung keluar ulat resdung" (which is bullshit if you ask me), people did not complain much on the treatment. But then again, maybe they do have resdung in its entirety (and not rhinitis like I have here), or even if they also have rhinitis, they do not know much about the nature of the disease. I'm yet to find a proper MD who writes about this particular resdung treatment. Maybe I should ask my doctor about this.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but at this moment I'm still having the worst bout of rhinitis attack in my life. Either way, I'm so not going back to do my second treatment, I'll just stick to my kidney-destroying cetirizine HCl thank you.

inb4 sokong produk kafir tak sokong produk Islamik Bumiputera
Alice

p/s: akak tu cakap aku kena pantang makan, tak boleh makan makanan bergoreng, seafood, AIS (gila kau pantang ais JB ni panas kot!). Dalam hati aku cakap to hell with pantang, aku allergik habuk la bebeh

3 comments:

Bie Cimbelang :) said...

Amat scary rawatan itu! Aaaaaaaaaa

7/511 said...

O_O you deserve some few dozen of macarons of smthg. Ngeri, dan satu penipuan nampaknya. Tsk tsk.

Semoga jumpa ubat utk rhinitis kelak! :D

Maya Arielle said...

Ngeri indeed. Yup, dahlah kena tipu bulat-bulat. To promote everything under the image of 'produk Bumiputera Islam Halal Kelantan Mari' is just,uh, idk. Membuatkan saya makin determined untuk mencari penawar rhinitis!