Thursday, December 3, 2009

this is why i wanna be a pharmacist

i could die without this.


When I was 6 or something I wanted to become a doctor. Like most kids. I thought that to satiate my hunger for knowledge related to diseases, I must become a doctor. It went on until I reached 11, before I discovered that you don't have to be a doctor to study about diseases, there are many other fields of science related to diseases, their effects and how to cure them. Microbiology, for example. Or epidemiology. Or virology. Or pathology.

Then, as I venture deeper into the vast world of science (I was curious, please forgive me), I found out that I became increasingly attracted to chemistry. So I abandoned my love for diseases (that sounds a bit weird O.o) and started reading college level chemistry stuffs during Form 2. During that period of infatuation with chemistry, I got to know toxicology, and realized that it was my true love. But I couldn't leave chemistry since it has now became a part of me. At the same time, my interest towards diseases began to resurface. And I was left torn between toxicology, chemistry and virology/epidemiology/microbiology/pathology.

That's how I fell in love with pharmacy.

(Pharmacy is the study of drugs, and it also covers about how drugs can cure diseases, hence the viromicropathoepidemiology. Obviously drugs are chemicals, hence the chemistry. Some drugs are poisons, hence the toxicology.)

Actually, that's not the only reason why I decided to venture into pharmacy. FYI, I am a hypochondriac, and I love to make self-diagnosis. My body is also host to so many diseases, the worst one being my dreaded rhinitis allergy. The allergy, which was made worse by a stupid bogus doctor despite his title as 'Doktor Pakar' (desensitization treatment gone wrong), has forced me to rely on this antihistamine named cetirizine hydrochloride for 6 years already. If I don't take it I'll be in histamine hell. Actually, despite taking it regularly, I still got my regular rhinitis attack in the form of severe flu-like syndrome once or twice a month. Due to having to take medicine regularly, I also developed an unhealthy habit of taking painkillers for every single known disease I have, be it dysmenorrhea, that rhinitis attack, fever, GI disturbances, migraine, or even depression (hahaha koi la).

And I think, I just think, that by taking cetirizine as my staple food, I have left my body in a very poor condition. Gastrointestinal disturbances are regular, as well as fatigue and drowsiness. My brittle and dull hair may be a side effect of cetirizine too. But then again, I'm a hypochondriac. Those could merely be my paranoia. I dunno.

That's why I wanna be a pharmacist. To find a better cure for my rhinitis, one without horrendous side effects. And maybe, find cure for cancer in the process :P


6 comments:

Bie Cimbelang :) said...

siannye ko. Ak ingat ko resdung je. Xpe, org2 beriman akan diuji lebih dari org2 biasa :)

just keep on :)

haziqrazab said...

wow..i feel so sorry..

i thought ur rhinitis only lasted within a month before spm..

well.. i pray that u'll be juz fine..

and succeed finding cure for cancer

which reminds me.. when u found a cure for cancer.. pls dont let it turn into somekind of zombie virus like the one in I am legend

haha.. sory tibe2 ngimol cm ubaidillah =))

Maya Arielle said...

u guys...thanks a lot :)
ziq, ngimol cm2 xpe, jgn thp annoying cm ubaidillah tersebut. mwahahahaha~

i am mai said...

wow, at least you have a reason to become something. having certain goals is good...

don't go popping pills too much though... it's bad for your kidney.. heh.

boxOFjuice said...

Mai - yeah. =_= This is awesome isn't it? If I were to write on why I want to be a dentist it'll be:
1. It's my destiny.
2. I like money.
3. I like the idea of me being useful :-/

...which, by Timah's standard is a lame excuse eh?

And Timah, why don't you create a drug that can cure hypochondria? xD It might wipe out some of your psychological induced symptomps~

Maya Arielle said...

i like money. frankly speaking that's one of my reasons to be a pharmacist too XP
actually there are drugs to cure hypochondria. it's da same drug that treats depression. unfortunately da drug has side effects, which in turn worsens one's hypochondria. XD
cmane tuh