Monday, November 29, 2010

lucid dreaming (and dreaming in general)

(yes, because this is very lucid dream-ish. 'Sides, it's Goa. *ends argument*)

It's very weird, you see, to know that I haven't blogged about this (properly, at least) despite being a self-confessed hippie (yeah, turns out that I'm morphing into a full-blown hippie with a penchant for everything New Agey - even Neotantra! - thanks to my immense love towards Goa trance). I can't really label myself as a regular lucid dreamer, because I rarely have lucid dreams even though I practically sleep 12 hours per day. But I do have vivid dreams every time I sleep, resulting in either oversleeping or intense sluggishness while frying curry puffs (obstructive sleep apnoea perhaps - Hypochondriac Alice). And mind you, I can remember every single dream that I had, without needing to learn dream recalling techniques. So I guess I'm almost there?

As far as I can remember, I only had around 4 lucid dreams after discovering about it. I may had more when I was little (e.g. reality check when dreaming about going to the toilet to make sure I don't wet the bed lol), but those didn't count because I didn't know anything about lucid dreaming at that time. My latest lucid dream was about me going to Bukit Putus, Kuala Pilah, stopping by a small house and meeting my ex-schoolmates. Unfortunately, as soon as I deduced that I was dreaming, know what I did? Instead of flying, I opened my eyes! Utter disappointment.

Lately, I keep having dreams involving me reaching high places (riding an escalator from ground level to the 3rd level without going through the 2nd level, or, oddly, climbing ropes in a shopping mall), only to inadvertently fall back to where I started. It was both frightening and wonderful - frightening because everything was so vivid, it can almost pass off as a real life 10-metre plunge downwards; wonderful because everything was so vivid, you could even feel the adrenaline rush. Good thing though, each time I fall, I managed to bring it to a halt, allowing me to rise up again. Woah, talk about metaphor (at the peak of my academic excellence at school, falling miserably during AUSMAT, passing SACE with TER ATAR 94? Hope so! Amin!). It's kinda freaky, because I never had any themes in my dreams before (aside from the usual 'going to familiar places altered beyond recognition' - I have those every night), unlike my housie Leana who has running dreams since forever. But yeah, now that I have familiarized myself with the escalator dreams, I'm determined to make it lucid. Next time I have one of those I'll be flying instead of falling yo!

Talking about making lucid dreams, it seems like my hypothesis is correct - I cannot lucid dream with aids, be it binaural beats or isochronic tones or hallucinogens (I-Doser version of course) or even somnacin (lol!). I listened to lucid dreaming isochronic tones twice, then tried astral projection tones, then OOBE. Nothing. Don't get me started on I-Doser. Even in complete darkness, pure silence, with my bro's AVF HM900 headphones, I didn't get anything noticeable (but somehow, I did experience the feeling of being sucked deeper into my body while listening to the Trip dose). Right now I'm in the midst of trying the lucid dreaming induction techniques devised by the Lucidity Institute. It may or may not succeed, but I'm determined to make it happen. My goal is to have at least one lucid dream per week, although having more than four dreams in one night like my man Stephen LaBerge would be most awesome.

I love this guy. He's the best ever, like Prof. Stephen Duffull. It would be very awesome to be his student, no? :D

So yeah, I believe that with enough practice, I will reach that level. It's not that difficult, isn't it?After all, Top also lucid dreams, so I don't see how I, a person fifty times more Goa than him, can't do the same. I have plenty of time to practice this holiday, hope I'll get there before January (haha, aim for the moon baby! Like ATAR 94!). In the meantime, are there any of you lucid dreamers out there who would be kind enough to share a couple of tips with me? I would most appreciate it :D

Alice

No comments: