Friday, August 20, 2010

emotions are there for you to show it

Here it is, the long awaited weekly post! (that doesn't seem correct because I have just written an entry here yesterday)

Week started with Chemistry test. 80% Chapter 4, the rest come from random chapters in the book. Did not do much of revision during the weekends because I couldn't bother to do so, a habit that is proven to be detrimental to this overly confident self. So of course I had to cringe while answering the questions. And of course my marks were less than those who study day and night. But that doesn't matter! Inferiority complex can lead to cutting, so I don't give a damn anymore. I am happy with my results coz I deserve it! :D :D

I was also looking forward to the week because the TESL peeps at INTEC organised a Ramadhan PC & Book Fair for 3 days at the great hall. Not exactly full-blown PC and book fair, but at least they have a BookXcess stall! Ohmygosh! I've been wanting to go to BookXcess since forever (or at least, since Leana introduced it to me) but until now I never had any opportunities to go there because Amcorp Mall is so secluded, there's no way I'll be able to go there without being lost *cue hyperbole*. I was hoping to find some interesting classic literature, but the choices were limited to Jane Austen and Shakespeare and a couple other titles that I have read/ have no interest in reading, so I had to pass. Was looking for Alice I Have Been too, but I was told that the book was nonexistent in their original store. Disappointed, I tried my luck with Crichton. I have been wanting to buy The Terminal Man since I finished reading A Case of Need, so I inquired of the salesperson whether they have it in stock. Much to my delight, they do have it, and promised to bring it the following day. So I went again the next day, only to find out that The Terminal Man was sold out, so they brought Pirate Latitudes and Prey instead. I have read Prey for 3 times already, and I am not that much of a fan of pirate-y stories (despite my immense love towards Alice and the Pirates), so of course I was disappointed. Nevertheless, I decided that it doesn't hurt to buy Pirate Latitudes since Crichton's stuffs are generally awesome anyway. And for RM19.90, it's a hell of a bargain (original price RM69.90). Needless to say, I have made a very good investment. 70 pages through and I just couldn't stop.


And since I have so much disposable money in my hands (despite needing to pay NZD 900 for accommodation fees, and how many more RM for passport and visa purposes), I proceeded to buy yet another book the next day. Now, this book (The Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill) was purely compulsive purchase; I never recalled buying gothic novels other than the usual classic Gothic literature and the vampire romances (and, ugh, The Complete Twilight Saga). I bought it because I thought it was interesting (about an ageing death metal band member buying a ghost-infested suit and having his life ruined by it. Oh the irony...), and the cover is pretty. Something I could coord with my gothic lolita-tinged dresses, perhaps. And it's somewhat Gaiman-y. Did I mention it was for RM17.90? Yeah, that one really made me buy it ><.

Had my Malay forum on Wednesday, and the topic's "Wajarkah Artis Dijadikan Sebagai Idola?" (Should artistes be made into idols?). Played the role of an ustazah, but I didn't think I did well. Those usual verbal problems again. Heard that we'll be having an interview with people from Australia before Raya holidays regarding our In-Depth Studies. Interview with Malay-speaking Aussies means no colloquial Malay whatsoever - else they won't be able to understand whatever heck we are talking about. It's Nik Safiah Karim's Malay all the way, baby!

The week was full-on Yearbook work week. Need to finish everything by next week so that Hong Seng can submit the drafts to be printed. Tiring, no doubt, but at least it was enjoyable. Enjoyable in a sense that I am working with Photoshop CS4 (despite me being a n00b in graphic designing and Photoshop usage and whatnots). I prefer that over flipping through pages of the Biology textbook. Maybe I shouldn't take a course in health sciences, judging from my utter laziness to do anything academic. But then, maybe I am wrong. Drugs, legal or illegal, have always been my personal favourite.

Next week, it's double action again. Maths test on Tuesday, and Biology test on Thursday. Wish me luck; I may need it heavily.

Title is related to this entry because I said so.

Till next time,
Alice of Phantasmagoria.

No comments: